Land training forms an essential part of a swimmers training regime and all squad members are expected to participate. The exercises used are swimmer specific promoting increased strength across both upper and lower muscle groups and in particular increasing core body strength as well as providing an alternative cardio workout. Sessions are designed by qualified training instructors in conjunction with the Head Coach to meet the needs of a range of ages and swimming levels and stroke specialities.
Sample Home Workout
All exercises with 30 seconds rest. Repeat 3 or 4 times to work roughly 30 minutes in total.
- 2x100 skipping feet together
- 10x10 crunches: lay on back pull belly button to floor and hands flat at side of hips, slide hands forward toward feet, pause for 2 seconds and relax
- 2x100 skipping alternating feet
- 10x10 press-ups: keeping head in neutral alignment with spine, tuck elbows in tight to body in order to load triceps
- 2x100 skipping 5 right leg, 5 left leg, 5 double.
- 10x10 leg raises: lie on back with feet together and legs straight, lift feet to 45 degrees and return to 2-4 inches from floor - DO NOT TOUCH FEET TO FLOOR - super slow motion whilst squeezing abdominals